Yemanja is an orisha, originally of the Yoruba religion, who has become prominent in many Afro-American religions. Africans from what is now called Yorubaland brought Yemaya/Yemoja and a host of other deities/energy forces in nature with them when they were brought to the shores of the Americas as captives. She is the ocean, the essence of motherhood, and a protector of children.
Because the Afro-American religions were transmitted as part of a long oral tradition, there are many regional variations on the goddess's name. She is represented with Our lady of Regla and Stella Maris.
* Africa: Yemoja, Ymoja, Yemowo
* Brazil: Yemanjá, Iemanjá, Janaína
* Cuba: Yemaya, Yemayah, Iemanya
* Haiti: La Sirène, LaSiren (in Vodou)
* USA: Yemalla, Yemana, Yemoja
* Uruguay: Iemanjá
* Dominican Republic: Yemalla or La Diosa del mar (sea goddess)
In some places, Yemaja is syncretized with other deities:
* Diosa del Mar
* Mami Wata
* La Sirene (lit. "The Mermaid")
Yemeya is the mother of all mothers of Saint Lasado. She also is the spirit of water, and her favorite number is 7.
Headlines Newsview all
The popular but controversial actress, Lola Alao who is believed by her friends to be too diabolical is said to be making grand preparation to ... Full story
A little over a year after tying the knot with Kehinde Oloyede, Funke Akindele's marriage has ended. Kehinde Oloyede shared the news of their split ... Full story
Lola Alao, the Yoruba actress who landed former House of Reps member, Dino Melaye and controversial baby mama, Bisi Ibidapo in a lover child drama ... Full story
Rate this article
- Jim Iyke Visits Sierra Leonean President, Bai Koroma
- Nollywood Actress, Funke Akindele Caught Smoking Marijuana
- “I insist you will go to hell” -Pastor Kris replies Catholics
Wedding Photos Of Funke Akindele And Oloyede Almaroof ... Full story